January 31, 2014

Happy Chinese New Year!

Happy Chinese New Year!

Are you celebrating? Tonight I plan to have a date night at home with the hubs but I thought I would make it more of an occasion by setting the table nicely ! I challenged myself to do this with only items I already had lying around the house. Here's what I came up with...

First up I went with a very classic minimalist black and red theme using a lantern, some slate coasters and the salt and pepper pots that we picked up in Thailand. (Not exactly Chinese but Asian inspired!)

achichiaffair
 Then I remembered I had these beautiful little hand painted cups I inherited from by grandma which I rarely use. I wanted to try and incorporate these but they clashed badly with the red so I did an alternate table using these, some bamboo bowls, and I even found an iron horse to represent the year of the horse (that had been banished to a cupboard for being tasteless!)


achichiaffair

achichiaffair
Its certainly not perfect (understatement!!) but considering all of these items I had lying around the house I thought it was rather Asian inspired and I hope I have inspired you to give it a go and make an average night into something more special!

Do let me know if you are celebrating tonight and what you are doing.

Rachie xo

PS: I cant wait to do this with Annie when she grows up !

0 lovely comments: