August 08, 2013

Visit to Cotswold 88 Hotel - a review!

Hi everyone!
A few weeks ago we went to a lovely hotel called Cotswold 88 for our 1st wedding anniversary and I thought I would write a quick review and share the pictures should you be looking for somewhere to stay for a special occasion!

With just 17 rooms the Cotswold stone hotel has a boutique feel and is set in the picturesque Cotswold hills in the small village of Painswick. We didn't actually venture out of the hotel because we were only staying for one night, however its very near to where I grew up so I can assure you if you do venture into the town it is lovely with the main highlight being the beautiful Rococo Garden and some lovely quaint shops.

We arrived around 3pm and as it was a gorgeous day we sat in the gardens and had a lovely afternoon tea which was very reasonable at around £25 (I think) for two people. The cakes were especially delicious and the views across the hills were stunning.

A Chi Chi Affair

Our room was larger than I had expected and decorated with a very striking wall paper - it was however rather hot (however as we don't normally have that problem in the UK I'm not complaining!) The large bed was especially comfortable and in the winter the room would have been very cosy.  In the other areas of the hotel the décor was beautiful and I particularly loved the dining room with the striped carpet (Stripes seem to be a theme!) The lounge where you could take drinks in the evening had a kind of Alice in Wonderland theme I thought!

A Chi Chi Affair
As the hubs and I are really into our food (and being pregnant I wouldn't be drinking!) we were particularly taken with the Juniper bar and restaurant which was of an extremely high standard and I would say worthy of a michelin star. There were two amuse bouche pre starters, one was a very memorable gazpacho. I then started with foie gras and the hubs had ceviche of scallops. For the main we both had the Jacobs ladders braised beef with a marrow bone croquette which was absolutely delicious and for dessert I had the pistachio mille fuille (picture below) and the hubs had a caramel crème brulee which he very much enjoyed! I have to say its not often that the food is that memorable but we really enjoyed this meal and the service. It was quite reasonable too - around £100 for two courses.

The cocktails were also well mixed and even my non alcoholic mojito tasted almost like the real thing!

A Chi Chi Affair
The following day we relaxed until check out and enjoyed a very leisurely but delicious full English breakfast complete with home made granola, fruit, various cheeses and meats. The food and service at Cotswold 88 were definitely the highlight of the stay and if you are into your restaurants then I would really recommend a trip here. Combine this with the lovely décor and location, it was the perfect place to relax, get away from everything and celebrate our anniversary.

Rachie xo

 

1 lovely comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I think T and I might have to make a visit. Good food, great views and all those STRIPES?! Needs to be seen! xxx

P.S. I love your trousers!