February 24, 2012

Friday Home: Red Velvet Cupcakes

I've had a bit of a run of baking recently and I've wanted to bake these red velvet cupcakes from The Hummingbird Bakery for ages so when someone's birthday came up at work then I took the chance to try out this recipe.  And honestly... They turned out soooo well!!

Normally when making a cupcake base I don't often follow the recipe exactly - just tending to follow a fail safe sponge recipe but I'm so glad I did on this occasion because it was amazing - the sponge base was so light and fluffy!!  I did have a small disaster with the cream cheese frosting as the handheld mixer decided to break on me halfway through. I tried to carry on whisking with a wooden spoon but sadly it still didnt reach the required consistency. They still tasted delicious though!  They may be some of the nicest cakes I have ever made and I urge you to give them a go.

A Chi Chi Affair

A Chi Chi Affair

A Chi Chi Affair

Happy Weekend! Click here to get the recipe

Rachie xo

3 lovely comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Oh my goodness these look amazing - love how you put them on the cake stand as well! xx

LaylaMaisie said...

The savoury cheese and spinach muffins from the Hummingbird book are so yummy too!

http://www.anotherexcusetotalkaboutme.blogspot.com

Redlilocks {Swoon Worthy} said...

Mmmm cupcakes! They look sooo yummy!! I have to say as well, I love the little yellow canisters and the pretty cupcake stand as well - so pretty :)

Happy Weekend darlin xxx