March 31, 2011

Making tablecentre pieces

A few weeks ago we celebrated my big sisters wedding - it was a truly fantastic day and such a lovely family occasion.

During the planning my sister Helen had tasked me with making the table centrepieces both due to budget and also I was sure I could do a great job!  I came up with the idea of using pink single stem flowers in jam jars and armed with some navy grosgrain ribbon we began.

The first step was to collect the jam jars. They were a mix of food jars and baby jars collected by my younger sister and my nephew and we put them in the dishwasher to make sure they were sparkling! I also used some sticky stuff remover from Lakeland to get off some of the sticky residue.


A Chi  Chi Affair

The next step was to fix the navy ribbon to the jars - we actually just used double sided sticky tape for this which worked really well.  I love how the navy ribbon changes the jars instantly and makes them look really stylish.  Here's a pic of Helen having a go at fixing the ribbon to the jars.


A Chi Chi Affair

And a shot of the jars nearly finished. The pink flowers at this point were just to see the effect.

 A Chi Chi Affair.

And here's a shot of Helen relaxing with some lunch!

 A Chi Chi Affair

Finally the day before the wedding arrived and we had to prepare all the flowers which were bought from the local flower market. We had a mixture of pink roses, ranunculas, giant pink carnations and pink gerbera and they looked even better than I imagined. We cut them down to size and put them in the jars ready to be transported to the venue

A Chi Chi Affair

A Chi Chi Affair

A Chi Chi Affair

 A very tanned me (just faked tanned!) arranging the flowers

A Chi Chi Affair

A Chi Chi Affair

A Chi Chi Affair

When we got to the venue we just had to arrange the jars on the mirrored plates and I scattered over some rose petals which reflected in the mirrors.  The venue was lit by candle light and we had tea lights on the table so it was such a lovely atmosphere


A Chi Chi Affair

A Chi Chi Affair

 And here is a shot of the whole table.

 A Chi Chi Affair

Just thought I would share a shot of the top table where we used two mirror plates and lots of the little jars. Thats my mum and dad too.

A Chi Chi Affair

And one of my lovely sister. Dont you agree she makes a beautiful bride!

 A Chi Chi Affair

 And my younger sister and I? It was a little bit windy!



 Hope you enjoyed this post!
Rachie xo

15 lovely comments:

Sere no Sekai said...

wonderful style! xoxo

Lili said...

they are beautiful!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

ooh congrats! you did such a pretty job and your sister was beautiful!

Helen Elliott said...

Oooh yay it's my post!

My lovely lovely sister Rachie did an Amazing job on the table centres, we had loads of people comment on just how original they were and they look gorgeous in the barn with all the candlelight!

And all in all it didn't cost us very much either, such a great way of saving a little bit of money and having a great time with the DIY too.

Thank you Rachie - I hope to repay the favour one day...

Love you

Helen xxx

P.s new name!!

Victoria said...

Love this - they did look lovely! xx

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

You are such a talent, hun! Helen and you made a great team! xx

Bella Bobbin said...

So pretty, it looks like it was a really lovely day! x

Redlilocks {Swoon Worthy} said...

This is so incredibly simple and yet makes such a fabulous, stylish impact! You have so much talent my dear and I'm totally stealing the ribbon around the jar idea ;) Love it!

xx

Redlilocks {Swoon Worthy} said...

P.S. Helen is indeed a GORGEOUS bride and you look pretty fantastic yourself! (Good genes obviously run in the family) ;)

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} said...

Navy transforms! Those look so cute...and you and your sisters are gorgeous! Looks like a beautiful evening!

ps -- my post tomorrow is all the projects from the pancake party!! which is this weekend...thanks so much for you input!

christine, just bella said...

Looks like an amazing time!! The centerpieces looked gorgeous and I love your navy dresses!

GardenofDaisies said...

You and your sisters look beautiful!! Your sisters dress is really really pretty!! I love the centerpieces you made for her tables!!! A fantastic idea!

Meera @ firstsense said...

Aww, beautiful wedding and beautiful photos! Love the centrepieces, so sweet!

Meera xx

Kelly said...

They turned out so well! I love multi jar center pieces, and these are so classic!

Jenny said...

Rachie It's so good to see that this is possible. I've been umming and ahhing about whether to do my own venue flowers for our wedding and this post shows it really is possible to DIY them! I've been saving and dishwashing jars for a few weeks now. I'm off to Lakeland to get some sticky removal stuff!