March 11, 2011

Fantastic Friday Food: Lemon Lime Cake with lime whipped cream

As you all know I'm always on the look out for yummy recipes that work well for dinner parties and this is totally one of them.

Lemon Lime Cake with Fresh lime Whipped Cream - This recipe is from the fab blog How sweet it is  which has some amazing recipes.

The best thing about this recipe is that the cake can be made in advance and then you just pipe the cream on at the last minute - Easy! And it looks really fab too! Fresh and Zingy and perfect for Spring.

How Sweet It Is
How Sweet It Is

How Sweet It Is

Recipe: Lemon Lime Cake
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons lemon and/or lime juice (I juiced the lemon and lime into the same bowl and got 3 tbsp)
Preheat oven to 350f or 180C

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Add vanilla and zest and combine until mixed.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the lemon and lime juice and thoroughly mix. Once mixed, add milk and beat until combined.

Pour into an 8×8 or 9×9 square cake pan and bake for 30-35 mins at 350F or 180C. Let cool completely.

Recipe: Lime Whipped Cream
1 pint cold whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoons lime zest
3 tablespoons powdered sugar/icing sugar

In the bowl of an electric mixer, add cream, vanilla, sugar and lime zest. Best until cream stiffens, about 5-6 minutes. Frost cake and refrigerate. I used a pastry bag and tip to frost.

Happy Weekend All!

Rachie xo

3 lovely comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I've been making more dishes with lemon recently - I think it's the onset of spring! Have a brilliant weekend, hun! T has surprise plans for me as it's my bday on Monday - so excited! xo

Meera @ firstsense said...

That looks YUMMMM!! I'll have to get a square cake dish so I can make this pronto!

Have a lovely weekend, Rachie!

Meera xx

Lisa said...

Oh wow, I just love how you decorated the top of your cake with that whipped topping. It looks so pretty. I'll have to give that a try. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html