February 11, 2011

Fabulous Friday Food: Last minute Valentines Cookies and printable bags

YAY! Its Friday Everyone!

I've been searching for some super simple valentines treats to bake for my loved ones over the weekend and I finally found these on the fabulous Bake at 350 blog which you must check out.

These fabulous XO chocolate cut out cookies are just so sweet and really simple to make! You could even put initials on them - I think that would be so cute!
http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/

Here's the recipe

2 & 1/2 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour  (I'm using plain flour)
1/2 cup dutch-process cocoa (I'n using green and blacks cocoa powder for the Uk readers)
1 tsp instant espresso powder
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 cup of unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 180C/350F Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together the flour,cocoa, espresso powder and salt; set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light an fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.

In 3 additions, add the flour mixture at low speed. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.

Roll the dough on a lightly floured and cocoa-ed surface. (I mixed the 2 of these, then spread on my rolling surface, on my rolling pin, and used it to dip my cookie cutters.)

Cut the cookies with a square cutter, then divide into smaller squares, if necessary, using a bench scraper.

Freeze cut cookies for five minutes.

Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool completely.

With white royal icing and a #4 (or so) plain tip, pipe the x's and o's.

With red icing and a #3 or #4 tip, pipe hearts on some of the cookies.

Let the icing dry (overnight is fine).

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/

Arent they just the cutest?
 
As a special treat I thought I would include these printable bags by Twig and Thistle for you to bake the cookies and package them up as a gift. Just download the PDF here and print directly onto the bags - easy peasy!

http://www.twigandthistle.com/blog/

http://www.twigandthistle.com/blog/

Happy Weekend All! Do you have plans for Valentines?

Rachie xo
 

9 lovely comments:

Meera @ firstsense said...

Very cute and look so delicious!! These are going in my baking folder :)

Happy weekend to you too! I'm going to be baking for valentine's (can't really go wrong with baked goodies!).

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Those Valentines paper bags are breaking my little heart - so adorbs! Have a great weekend with John, lovely. xo

TamStyles said...

i guess i will add 10 pounds to the list of gift requests...yum

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

definitely cute!
Not plans here as we dont celebrate but Ill be making some chocolate truffles this weekend for fun
Have a great weekend darling xxx

MLMB said...

♥ Oh wow I adore those bags!!! I so wish I had some paper bags to print now!! What a gorgeous find! ƸӜƷMakinglifemorebeautiful
xxx

Pinecone said...

So cute, and the download is so adorable too!
have a great weekend,
Ashlyn

Tereza said...

the cookies are so cute, what a great idea:)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Oooh, they're LOVELY!! I want to have a go at making these...but slightly worrying about my icing skills!!

Sarahx

Lolly Jane said...

so cute! LOVE the printable to put them in too!!

:) Kelli & Kristi