January 21, 2011

Fabulous Friday Food! Fortune Cookies

I love Chinese New Year - the mythology is fascinating and I'm a big fan of Chinese food. Last year my sister and I went to a restaurant to celebrate and not only was there a fabulous banquet menu, a dragon and Chinese decorations, but the whole night was photographed for OK magazine and David Van Day of I'm a Celebrity fame was singing??! It was so random!  (For my international readers - he is a very cheesy pop star!!)  It was quite hilarious!

One of my fave parts is always the fortune cookies as I love to read my fortunes so I thought it would be nice to post a recipe just in case you were thinking about having a Chinese new years party!


taste.com.au

Ingredients (makes 45)  - Recipe courtesy of taste.com.au
  • 60g unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
  • 2 egg whites, at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
  • 45 messages on 1 x 5.5cm pieces of paper

Method:
Preheat oven to 180°C. Place butter and sugar in a bowl. Using a wooden spoon, combine well. Add egg whites, 1 at a time, stirring until smooth. Stir in flour and a pinch of salt until smooth.

Using an 8cm pastry cutter as a guide, trace 4 circles, 4cm apart, on to a sheet of baking paper. Flip paper over and place on a greased oven tray. Using a metric measuring spoon, spoon a slightly rounded tsp of mixture on to each circle. Use the back of a spoon to spread batter to fill circles.

Bake for 6-7 minutes or until cookies begin to brown around edges. Working quickly, slide a spatula under each cookie to loosen, then place a message on top of each. Fold hot biscuits in half to enclose, pressing edges together, then bend in half the other way, over the edge of a glass, to create crescent shapes. Hold for a few seconds. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Repeat with remaining batter. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

By the way, this year is the year of the rabbit which apparently should mean a placid year, very much welcomed and needed after the ferocious year of the Tiger.

Happy Weekend All

Rachie xo

10 lovely comments:

MissHelenAmos said...

That was one of the funiest nights ever Rachie!!!! Laughed until our sides hurt. The food was delish as well! xxx

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

I wonder how easy/difficult these are... love easting them though!
Have a great weekend xx

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Your OK magazine story cracked me up - how funny!

Thanks for sharing this recipe, hun. Have a lovely weekend with John. xo

Ruthie{Look~Learn~Love} said...

Yummy! I love fortune cookies, we'll see if I'm brave enough to try making my own :) Happy Weekend!

PearlsAndGreenTea said...

I would totally botch these up but I love the idea of writing my own fortunes for my loved ones. :)

jiye
pearlsandgreentea.blogspot.com

Pinecone said...

Love the OK magazine story.
Once I was at a party where you had to read your fortune out loud...and they were x-rated fortune cookies. It was only mildly amusing ha!
Have a great weekend,
Ashlyn

Debby said...

Very cool... I never thought about making them! xo

Nuha Sofiyan said...

I love fortune cookies! They are cute gifts for any party. I'll have to keep this tucked away for my next party :)

Kayla said...

I tried to make fortune cookies once. I need to try again though, I had trouble actually getting a fortune in them. Hopefully with this recipe I can get it right.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

Anonymous said...

I might actually be brave enough to try theses - I'm thinking Valentine's day dinner... Lovely blog! Karinx