November 26, 2010

Fabulous Friday Food : Pin wheel biscuits!

I remember making these as a little girl,  possibly at school I think, so when I stumbled across the recipe, they immediately reminded me of my childhood.  


I also think they fit well for a birthday party as they look so fun! You could even pop a little lolly stick in and make them like biscuit lollipops or try experimenting with different colours.


Here's the recipe (from BBC Good Food)

BBC Good Food


Ingredients (Makes around 40 cookies)

25g cocoa
200g unsalted butter , at room temperature
150g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
300g plain flour , sifted


Method

1.Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer, or use a large bowl with a hand-held electric beater. Beat in the vanilla and egg, then add the flour. Beat until smooth, remove from the bowl, halve the dough and beat the cocoa into one of the portions using a mixer. Shape both dough portions into rough oblongs. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes until firm.

2.Roll out each dough to £1-coin thickness, trying to keep the oblong shape. Put the chocolate dough on top of the white dough and trim the edges to neaten. Roll up lengthways like a Swiss roll, then wrap in clingfilm and chill for 45 minutes. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.

3.Slice the dough into discs as thinly as you can, put them on a non-stick baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Happy Weekend everyone!

Rachie xo

5 lovely comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

A childhood staple I seem to remember! A step up from cornflake cakes! haha.

Have a smashing weekend, hun.

xo

Victoria said...

Yes - I think we used to do pinwheel chelsea buns aswell! x

Design Elements said...

it reminds me of my grandmother :-) I like that image. Happy weekend

Amanda said...

They look so effective!! Hope you're enjoying the weekend and thanks for your 'virtual hugs' you sent my way x

Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

I love the pretty swirls! Looks yummy!